Rigging devices are used in shipping for fastening devices for installing sail and lifting loads. Rigging is also popular for lifting and moving cargo to a height. Lifting structures are particularly durable, as most parts are made of steel.
So, what is rigging? Rigging is a general designation of all fixtures of ropes, cables, chains, etc., which are used for mast mounting, sail control, cargo movement, signaling equipment lifting, etc.
The lifting gear was used before the development of shipbuilding. The Egyptian pyramids were built with their help. Rigging devices are used for installation, dismantling and moving of large loads and industrial equipment. The only thing that has changed with the progress of rigging is the development of electrical mechanisms and hydraulic devices that have allowed less use of human physical force. The role of man was reduced to the ability to control the equipment to which the rigging devices are attached.
Moving cargo can be difficult if it occurs in confined spaces or at high altitudes. Special mounting systems and rigging equipment are required to perform high-altitude work.
Due to the heavy load on the equipment and the high safety requirements, everything that is used to lift and deliver the cargo must be reliable and durable. Not only the safety of the equipment, but also the safety of the maintenance personnel and workers who perform the rigging work depends on compliance with these requirements.
One of the best modifications of modern rigging is the rigging straps. The lifting strap is intended for carrying the overall cargo by a person at different distances. The design of the belt allows you to distribute the center of gravity over a wider area and to facilitate the burden of its owner.
The strap strap is worn by the loader, and the built-in regulators allow you to adapt the strap length to the dimensions of the portable item. It is possible to apply lifting belts for carrying of weight up to 200 kg.
The most common rigging means include:
- rigging brackets are omega-shaped, used to connect the lifting device (rope, cable, etc.) and cargo.
- load-lifting and connecting links, are used for connection of elements of capture or at production of slings;
- steel cables that can withstand high loads, voltage and temperature fluctuations;
- slings are rope or chain. They are especially suitable for lifting loads with special hinges, rings or other gripping elements;
- fasteners. These include fastening belts and fastening chains. They are used to secure the load when moving it in space;
- steel rope clips, used to connect the two ends of the cable, or to create a loop at the end;
- hooks for the quick connection of cargo with a crane or other conveyor.